A water leak is such a normal problem a homeowner can experience. A leak, without giving you notice, can happen anytime. Old piping, cold weather, older plumbing fixtures especially in water heaters and toilets and the daily wear and tear can all generate water leaks. Proper maintenance is really necessary to avoid this kind of problem.
When you are sure that a leak is present in your home, have it fixed immediately to prevent any further damage.
Detecting Water Leak
In most cases, leaks are normally invisible. Pipes are situated underground, thus detecting water leaks are quite challenging to do. In our modern days, a leak detection system can be used to detect any possible causes. But for this, let us use good old-fashioned ways in determining the causes of the water leak.
- When you are laying in your bed, in a quiet night and you can hear running water, but none of your plumbing system is on and all of your sinks are turned off
- You get a huge surprise from the utility company. When your bill, it became higher than the usual.
- When you check your water meter and saw it spinning, even the water is shut off in the house.
Solving The Problem
Depending on the accessibility of the location of the leak, fixing the problem can easily be done by your own hands. But, how would you really know it when most of the pipings are situated underground. In this case, you may opt for hiring a plumbing company that specializes in leak detection. However, hiring these skilled workers can be very costly because locating the leak can consume their time. So, consider doing it for them. You can use your very functional ears to detect the location. And, when the professionals are in your area, what they will only need to do is to fix the problem itself.
How Do Professionals Detect The Leak
In the past, professionals also had difficulty locating the leak. They had to cut open floorings and walls. Fortunately, these days they can use non-invasive ways. They now use a state-of-the-art camera that inspects the piping system and fixtures throughout your home to properly find the existing leak.
What Happens If You Ignore A Plumbing Leak?
When a leak is ignored, the most visible effect of this is you’ll be paying higher than your usual water bill. But, there’s more to this;
- Water leak can result in non-repairable piping, thus it will require you to install a whole new water service
- Water leak can cause severe water damage. Restoring water damage can be really expensive.
- The result of water leak could lead to water damage, and water damage can cause mildew and mold growth, that can be harmful to you and to your family’s health.
Worried about it?
That’s okay. It sure is it’s difficult to find the leak, but knowing that you have a problem, means you are into your way of solving it. Just make sure to address the issue right away to avoid severe water damage that is not covered by your insurance company.